If you have very good headphones, but you can’t find a microphone that suits you and does not reduce the sound quality, you can make it from the headphones. It will allow you to record speech, control chats and answer calls.
Microphones and headphones are very similar devices. If the former are able to convert sound into electrical signals, the latter do the opposite. But the components of the products, as well as the principle of their work, are identical.
Headphones and microphone include diaphragms with vibration. They are able to convert sound into electrical signals and vice versa. Therefore, headphones are capable of recording such signals.
Signals are transmitted to the microphone, the diaphragm begins to vibrate. This allows you to send electrical signals by wire to the preamplifier. After passing through the wires, the signal enters the speakers, inside which are cones with speakers. The latter begin to vibrate, and this allows the signal to convert to sound.
These speakers are able to work like a microphone, if you make the signal go through the wires, and make the magnets and speakers vibrate. The sound quality is slightly worse than that of a standard microphone, but it can be increased by adjusting the signal on the computer.
How to connect headphones like a microphone
To connect headphones as a microphone, you need:
- Find the audio input on the computer and connect the headphones.
- Open the Start menu, go to the Control Panel and open the sound control settings. The program may have the following names "Sound Device Control" or "Sound", depending on the version of the Windows program.
- Click on this parameter. We have a window with sound settings.
- Select the record tab. There will be a window with all sound devices connected to the computer. We select the necessary.
- The "Default" button will appear below. Click on it.
- Click OK.
- Now you need to do a few continuous tapping on the headphones. You can just do a few touches. Watch the reaction of the green stripes. They show that the device is capable of recording signals.
But headphones as a microphone may be needed not only for a computer, but also for a phone with a tablet. In this case, the algorithm of action will change. It is necessary:
- Find the application that is responsible for setting the sensitivity. This is necessary to match the signals that transmit sounds on the device. Alternatively, you can use a mixer or preamp (they create matching). Some device models have automatic signal adjustment.
- To convert via Android or iOS, you must use an adapter with ports (the input is divided into 2 signals, one is for a microphone, the other is for headphones).
- We connect the connector to the port in the adapter, and the adapter itself to the mixer.
- Several test entries are made to verify that the settings are correct. If necessary, amendments are made.
- The result is a small-sized microphone-earphone. Such a device is useful for a concert or for shooting, which must be hidden.
Attention! There are times when there is no audio input on the smartphone. You can solve a similar problem through bluetooth, which can also be used as a microphone.
How to adjust the sound quality
If all the previous steps were done correctly, when connected to a computer, the signal should completely disappear from the device and appear in the headset. But if this did not happen, we take the following steps to configure:
- On the taskbar, near the clock there is an image of the speaker. It is responsible for adjusting the sound. Right click on it.
- Our window opens. Select "Playback Devices".
- Another window should open. Go to the playback tab (should be the very first).
- Select the item "Headphones".
- Click the property button.
- Another window will open. Select the "General" tab.
- At the bottom there is an inscription "Application of the device". Under it, select "Use this device."
- Click the "Properties" button.
- Go to the driver tab. It is necessary to verify the correctness of its work. If there are no errors, the window with the status of the devices will say, "The device is working fine." If it does not work, download the driver.
- Now set the volume indicator.
- In the end, go to the "Advanced" tab and select the sound quality.
Connecting headphones instead of a microphone is easy. The main thing is to adhere to the rules and do everything strictly according to the instructions.